Wedding websitesSeptember 2022 to present
Building custom wedding websites for clients with RSVP and guest management.
- Delivered unique websites to multiple clients with 100% satisfaction.
- Resolved issues with clients within 24 hours.
- Minimised operating costs by using static sites, off the shelf tools, and serverless technologies.
UK Research and Innovation (formerly STFC)
Platform ArchitectOctober 2022 to present
Leading the delivery and operation of the developer platform for multiple developer teams using standard technologies.
- Replaced legacy VMs with Kubernetes for 30 services.
- Saved engineers' time by making it easy to deploy and operate their software.
- Reduced crisis response time by introducing centralised logging.
- Reduced the security risk by providing tools and embedding best practices.
Senior Software Engineer and Team LeaderJanuary 2019 to October 2022
Led the delivery and operation of business critical products by creating an effective engineering team to provide maximum value for science facilities.
- Delivered an open source product used by 1000s of scientists across the world to access scientific facilities.
- Reduced cost to deliver and maintain software by estimated 30% by creating and maintaining an open collaboration with other research organisations.
- Enabled delivery by creating a high performing agile team: hiring new staff, developing skills, and introducing continuous improvement.
Graduate / Software EngineerAugust 2015 to January 2019
Delivered key functionality used by thousands of scientists, internal and external, and operated existing web services for science facilities. Promoted to Software Engineer after 2 years.
- Delivered key navigation and content functionality for public websites about the scientific facilities used thousands of current and prospective users.
- Delivered analysis and implementation of changes for GDPR as part of a team.
- Containers and orchestration (Kubernetes, Docker)
- Cloud platforms (OpenStack, AWS, Google Cloud)
- Monitoring (Elastic/OpenSearch)
- Web fundamentals (HTML, JS, CSS)
- Frontend frameworks (React)
- Version control (git)
- Languages (Java, Python, Typescript, PowerShell, Bash)
- Agile software project management tools (GitHub, JIRA)
- Continuos integration and deployment (Jenkins, GitHub actions)
- Automated testing (Unit, Integration, System, Acceptance)
Royal Holloway, University of London2012 to 2015First Class BSc Computer Science (Hons)
West Kirby Grammar School2010 to 2012
St Anselm's College2005 to 2010
- Professional Member of the British Computer Society (MBCS)
- APM Project Fundamentals
- Certified SAFe 5 Agilist
- Highfield Level 2 Award in Safeguarding and Protecting Children and Young People
- Enjoys tech meetups (like Remote Hack).
- Building fun side projects: I'm most proud of Tartan-ify.
- Film photography, board games, coffee, pizza, and hiking in nature.